A few comments about safety
Please keep your child in hand and in sight at all times. When the classroom teacher turns your children over to you at the end of the day, we no longer keep track of them. You are responsible for their safety. Our lobby has several elevators, and doors to the basement and outside, Children can get lost or wander outside. While our Safety Agents will stop a child who is leaving the building by himself, they have no way of knowing if a child is part of a group, or is with the proper adult.
Do not let your child run ahead of you down the stairs or “hide” from you after picking him up from the classroom.
Do not walk ahead of your child out of the building.
Do not allow your child to slide down the bannisters, or climb on the stair railings.
Children should never be left unattended, even for a short while, on 17th Street. We have a narrow sidewalk, and a very busy street, with cars zipping by. If children play on the snow, or near the curb, they can easily step off
Arrival - 8:20 a.m.
In the morning, the center staircase is reserved for teachers and students going to classrooms
School starts at 8:20 a.m. Children who are not in school on time will be marked late. The doors open at 8:15 a.m. even in inclement weather due to space and safety considerations.
Children may have school breakfast at 8:00 a.m. A staff member will bring them to class. Parents do not stay with the children during breakfast. In order to have school breakfast, your child must be in the cafeteria no later than 8:00 a.m.
You may drop your child off for school breakfast at the front door of the school at, and no later than 8:00 a.m. The doors close after the children enter at 8:00 am, so that they will have enough time to eat, and do not open again until 8:20 am. Students who come later, will need to wait for the school doors to open for arrival to enter. Parents do not stay with children during breakfast.
School doors open for pre-k at 8:15 am and for K to 5 at 8:20 a.m.
Caregivers bring pre-k students to their classrooms on the fourth floor via the elevators.
- Before the yellow school doors open, pre-k families line up on the east side of the front door (to the left if you are facing the school).
- Front doors open at 8:15 am.
- Children who are not in their classrooms by 8:30 am will be marked late.
- Use only the left front door to enter the building and proceed to the elevators. Do not use the center staircase.
- After dropping off your child, use the elevators – not the center staircase, as the older children will be walking up to class – to return to the lobby.
In the beginning of the year, caregivers bring children to their classrooms on the second floor. As the children become more independent and familiar with school, they will enter the building on their own.
- Kindergarten families use the far, blue door on 17th Street to enter the building and the internal staircase. It is the door all the way down to the left of the main entrance if you are facing the school.
- Families should line up outside the door when they arrive at school.
- The Kindergarten door will open at 8:20 am.
- Please leave using the far door across from Room 202 or the elevator, not the center staircase, as the older children will be walking up to class.
- The Kindergarten door will close at 8:30 am, and you will need to bring your child through the main yellow front doors of the school, and he/she will be marked late.
First through Fifth Graders enter the school by themselves. In order to get the students in safely and quickly, we need to follow these procedures:
- School doors open at 8:20 am.
- Children line to the west of the yellow school doors (to the right if you are facing the school.) In order to facilitate the process, children should line up against the wall, with parents next to them. Please say your goodbyes to your child before he or she gets to the front door, so that we do not have a bottle-neck and long lines, e.g., kisses, backpack on, umbrellas closed. Children enter the building quickly in one line.
- If you are coming from 5th Avenue, children must get on the end of the line, and not wait in the front of the school.
- Please be aware of students from our co-located school, P94, getting off buses and coming into the building with their caregivers.
- The children will come into the building unattended and walk up the stairs to their classrooms.
- Parents will not accompany their child into the school. If you have business in the school building, e.g., office, nurse, please stop at the Security Desk.
- At 8:30 am, the front doors will close, entering children will be given a late pass and sent up to their classrooms.
If you have younger children, wait for your older child to enter the building, and then take your younger child to class.
If you have business in the school building, e.g., office, nurse, please stop at the Security Desk.
School starts at 8:20 a.m. Children who are not in school on time are marked late. Please make sure your child is in the classroom or the cafeteria on time. We believe it is important for all of the children to begin the day together as a community of learners. Children who arrive even a few minutes late can feel out of step with their classmates. It is, therefore, important that your child is not late to school.
We fully understand that there are circumstances that might cause you to be late once in awhile, but it should not be a regular occurrence. Lateness is part of the legal document tracked throughout the years as part of your child’s record. Per DOE requirements, each late arrival is noted on your child's report card.
Dismissal - 2:40 p.m.
Early pickup must be completed by 2:15 p.m., or you must wait for regular dismissal.
Caregivers take the elevators to pick up pre-k students at their classrooms.
- Strollers must be left outside, lined up against the building. They may not block the front door.
- School doors open at 2:35 pm.
- Caregivers use the elevators to go to the fourth floor, and the elevators or center staircase to leave the building.
- Caregivers sign out children before they leave the classroom. The caregiver is responsible for the child’s location and safety after they take the child from the classroom.
- Fourth floor bathrooms are not available at dismissal. If a child needs to use the bathroom, the bathrooms in the cafeteria are open.
Caregivers use the front door and center staircase to pick up kindergarten students
- The doors will open at 2:35 pm
- Caregivers leave the second floor using any of the staircases or elevators.
- Second floor bathrooms are not available at dismissal. If a child needs to use the bathroom, the bathrooms in the cafeteria are open.
First, Second and Third Graders are picked up in the cafeteria. Parents enter the cafeteria through the double doors, and leave via the single door by the window.
Fourth graders are picked up in the Dance Studio.
Fifth graders are picked up in the Auditorium on the lower level.
Fourth and fifth graders are permitted to leave school on their own with previous written permission from parents. Blanket permission must be given, i.e., permission to leave any day on their own throughout the year, not on a case-by-case basis.
The teacher will have a procedure, e.g., high five with child, to make sure each child gets to the correct adult. Please be patient, and do not encourage your child to run over to you before the teacher has released him. We do our best to be quick, and we realize you might be in a rush, but handing children over to the correct caregiver is one of the most important things we do, and we need a consistent system, even if we know who you are.
If you have younger children, please pick them up first.
Our primary goal during dismissal is to make sure children are safely handed off to the correct adult. Please keep in mind that when we hand your children off to you, or your caregivers, at the end of the school day, we no longer keep track of them. We turn that responsibility over to you. It is important that you keep your children in your sight at all times while you are in the school building. Even though the school is generally safe, there are lots of adults coming and going during dismissal, and doors that lead to the basement, kitchen, elevators and the street where kids could go missing or get hurt.
Although the Safety Agents are at the front door, they have no way of knowing which adult is accompanying which child is with.They will stop any child who appears to be alone, but if a child walks out with a group off kids and adults,the Safety Agents will not know to stop them.
A few additional safety reminders for dismissal…
- Please do not allow your child to run ahead of you or hide from you after you have picked him up from the classroom.
- Under no circumstances may children climb on the railings of the central staircase. Please do notl et your child do so.
- Children should never be left unattended, even for a short while, on 17th Street. We have a narrow sidewalk, and a very busy street, with cars zipping by. If children play on the snow, or near the curb, they can easily step
Authorized pick up
We will only release a child to a person authorized in writing by the parent and listed on our Yellow Release Card, even if the person is known to us. This policy applies to relatives, babysitters and play dates with other children in the class.This includes groups other than Wingspan, our after school program, who might pick up your child, e.g., YMCA. If you would like someone else to pick up your child, you must notify your child’s teacher in writing.
Change in pick up plans
If your pickup plans change, send a note in with your child specifying the name of the person picking up your child (not “Billy’s nanny”, but Elise Jones.)If your pickup plans change during the day, you will need to call Beth Segarra (917-305-1000) followed by an e-mail that is copied to the teacher email@example.com. Do not e-mail only the teacher; she may not see it on time. Do not leave a voice mail.
Please do not pick your child up early unless it is absolutely necessary. Tracking down individual children during the school day is disruptive for staff and students. Routine doctor and dentist visits should be scheduled after school. We fully understand that there are times you need to get your child early, but children should not regularly be leaving early on any given day, e.g., summer Fridays, for swimming lessons.
If you need to pick your child up early, come to the Main Office to sign your child out, and we will bring him or her to the office to meet you.
Please note: The end of the day is a busy time in the school and in the classrooms; therefore, all early pickups must be completed by 2:15 p.m. After that time, you will need to wait until dismissal at 2:40 p.m. to pick up your child.