Arrival - 8:20 a.m.
School starts at 8:20 a.m. Children who are not in school on time will be marked late.The doors open at 8:15 a.m. even in inclement weather due to space and safety considerations.
Children may have school breakfast at 8:00 a.m. A staff member will bring them to class. Parents do not stay with the children during breakfast. In order to have school breakfast, your child must be in the cafeteria no later than 8:00 a.m.
Procedures by grade
- Pre-K (Fourth Floor) – Caregivers bring children to their classrooms by 8:20 a.m. using the elevators. After the first few weeks of class, children enter the classroom by themselves.
- Kindergarten (Second Floor) - Caregivers bring children to their classrooms by 8:20 a.m. using only the stairs (unless there is a hardship).The elevator is reserved for our pre-k students and families to avoid crowding. Children sit in the hall in their designated spots until the teacher opens the door. After the first few days of school, children enter the classroom by themselves.
- First and Second Grades (Cafeteria) - Caregivers bring children to the door of the cafeteria where they wait for their teachers to pick them up.
School starts at 8:20 a.m. Children who are not in school on time are marked late. Please make sure your child is in the classroom or the cafeteria on time. We believe it is important for all of the children to begin the day together as a community of learners. Children who arrive even a few minutes late can feel out of step with their classmates. It is, therefore, important that your child is not late to school.
We fully understand that there are circumstances that might cause you to be late once in awhile, but it should not be a regular occurrence. Lateness is part of the legal document tracked throughout the years as part of your child’s record. Per DOE requirements, each late arrival is noted on your child's report card.
- Pre-K and K: If you arrive at school after 8:20 you may bring your child up to the classroom until 8:30; however, your child will still be marked late. If you arrive at school after 8:30 a.m., the classroom door will be shut, and you need to come to the office, and someone will come and escort your child to class.
- 1st and 2nd Grade: Once the children have left the cafeteria and gone upstairs, you need to come to the Main Office, sign your child in, and someone will escort the child to class.
Dismissal - 2:40 p.m.
Children are dismissed at 2:40 p.m. The school doors open at 2:35 p.m. Caregivers should leave the school building soon after picking up the child.
Early pickup must be completed by 2:15 p.m., or you must wait for regular dismissal.
Procedures by grade
- Pre-K and Kindergarten: Caregivers go up to the classroom and wait outside teacher opens the door and sends the children out.
- First grade and second grade: Caregivers come to the cafeteria. The teacher has a procedure in place (eye contact with parent, call child’s name, high five with child)to make sure each child gets to the correct adult. Please be patient, and do not encourage your child to run over to you before the teacher has called his name.We do our best to be quick, and we realize you might be in a rush, but handing children over to the correct caregiver is one of the most important things we do, and we need a consistent system, even if we know who you are.
Our primary goal during dismissal is to make sure children are safely handed off to the correct adult. Please keep in mind that when we hand your children off to you, or your caregivers, at the end of the school day, we no longer keep track of them. We turn that responsibility over to you. It is important that you keep your children in your sight at all times while you are in the school building. Even though the school is generally safe, there are lots of adults coming and going during dismissal, and doors that lead to the basement, kitchen, elevators and the street where kids could go missing or get hurt.
Although the Safety Agents are at the front door, they have no way of knowing which adult is accompanying which child is with.They will stop any child who appears to be alone, but if a child walks out with a group off kids and adults,the Safety Agents will not know to stop them.
A few additional safety reminders for dismissal…
- Please do not allow your child to run ahead of you or hide from you after you have picked him up from the classroom.
- Under no circumstances may children climb on the railings of the central staircase. Please do notl et your child do so.
- Children should never be left unattended, even for a short while, on 17th Street. We have a narrow sidewalk, and a very busy street, with cars zipping by. If children play on the snow, or near the curb, they can easily step
Authorized pick up
We will only release a child to a person authorized in writing by the parent and listed on our Yellow Release Card, even if the person is known to us. This policy applies to relatives, babysitters and play dates with other children in the class.This includes groups other than Wingspan, our after school program, who might pick up your child, e.g., YMCA. If you would like someone else to pick up your child, you must notify your child’s teacher in writing.
Change in pick up plans
If your pickup plans change, send a note in with your child specifying the name of the person picking up your child (not “Billy’s nanny”, but Elise Jones.)If your pickup plans change during the day, you will need to call Beth Segarra (917-305-1000) followed by an e-mail that is copied to the teacher firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not e-mail only the teacher; she may not see it on time. Do not leave a voice mail.
Please do not pick your child up early unless it is absolutely necessary. Tracking down individual children during the school day is disruptive for staff and students. Routine doctor and dentist visits should be scheduled after school. We fully understand that there are times you need to get your child early, but children should not regularly be leaving early on any given day, e.g., summer Fridays, for swimming lessons.
If you need to pick your child up early, come to the Main Office to sign your child out, and we will bring him or her to the office to meet you.
Please note: The end of the day is a busy time in the school and in the classrooms; therefore, all early pickups must be completed by 2:15 p.m. After that time, you will need to wait until dismissal at 2:40 p.m. to pick up your child.